This site is located on a large mound rising over ten metres above the surrounding plain near the junction of the coastal highway linking Sharjah and Ras al-Khaimah and the inland road from Umm al-Qaiwain to Falaj al-Mu’alla.
The Tell comprises of a settlement consisting of largely palm-frond houses (Barasati) which surround a massive circular fortress built out of mud brick and faced with stones. The palm houses are evidenced by a large number of post-holes which have been found all over the excavated areas.
The fort itself stands nearly eight metres tall from ground level to the top of its mud brick interior walls. At the centre of the fortress is a well thus enabling this structure to provide both shelter and a secure source of water in times of danger. The fortress was in use from c.2200 BC to 1500/1400BC before being covered by a huge monumental mud brick platform which sealed and preserved the earlier structure.